The countdown to Christmas is on but did you know that an American study found people gain on average between .08 kilograms and 1.5 kilograms over the holiday period?
Here are some tips to help you and your family enjoy the party season without having to work extra hard at the gym in the new year.
- Avoid going to parties hungry. Eat a light, healthy snack before the party to reduce the chances of snacking on high calorie food.
- Be mindful of portion sizes. Use a bread and butter plate instead of a dinner plate so that you eat less.
- Choose meals and snacks that are fresh and avoid where ever possible high-sugar and processed foods
- Restrict your alcohol intake.
- Stay hydrated. Drink 6 to 8 glasses of water, or plenty of herbal teas.
Foods to avoid:
- Creamy dips
- Pies, sausage rolls, spring rolls
- Chips, corn chips
- Lollies, candy canes, chocolate
- Cakes, slices, ice-cream
- Try to limit to one or two standard drinks
- Finish one glass before accepting a top-up
- Alternate your drinks – one alcoholic, one water.
- Be mindful of the serving size especially for wine in restaurants