The simple concoction of lemon juice and water does wondrous things for the body plus it’s just a delicious way to kick-start the day. You don’t have to go on a full detox diet to reap the benefits either, simply add it to your existing regime and you should notice a difference.
According to nutritionist Michele Hedge lemon water is packed with antioxidants and revitalises the body and mind.
She recommends the mix because it:
- Boosts immunity. Lemon water is rich in vitamin C which helps fight off colds and flu, and enhances the body’s ability to absorb iron – “an important nutrient for a healthy immune system”
- Helps with digestion. It helps cleanse the bowel and “stimulates the release of gastric juices” which aid digestion, however, lemon water is not recommended on an empty stomach
- Repairs skin. The antioxidants in lemon water help to combat skin damage
- Reduces appetite. Citrus fruits contain a soluble fibre called pectin which can create a feeling of fullness
- Protects overall health. The potassium in lemons assists with brain and nerve function, stress and depression
- Detoxifies the liver. It “purifies and stimulates the liver” by encourage the production of digestive acids.
So, on it’s own lemon water is already pretty brilliant but there are ways you can get even more out of it by adding some extra ingredients.
We love ginger for all of its fabulous health benefits and taste. The root is known for soothing the digestive system, treating nausea, assisting with cold and flu symptoms, and being a potent anti-inflammatory.
It’s best to add the root to your lemon water in raw form. You can add a couple of slices or dice it up. Crush the ginger with the flat edge of a knife first to squeeze out some of the nutritious juices.
Turmeric comes from the same plant family as ginger and its medicinal properties have been revered around the world for thousands of years.
Research has found turmeric helps to fight off colds and flu, relieve indigestion and combat inflammatory diseases. Studies also show it can help ward off cancer, Alzheimer’s disease, heart attacks, strokes and regulate blood sugar levels
In terms of preparation and adding it to lemon water, you can give tumeric the ginger treatment.
Echinacea is another way to combat winter illnesses. According to ABC Health & Wellbeing it can help with:
- Strep throat
- Bacterial sinusitis
- Viral infections
- Skin problems.
You can buy echinacea in liquid form and put drops of it in lemon water. Feel free to add it to your glass along with some ginger and turmeric for one supercharged beverage.
One last tip from dentists, you should also rinse your mouth after drinking lemon water to avoid any damage to your teeth. The acid can erode your enamel.